News

Year 12 student wins first prize in Shaun Tan Awards

Year 12 Visual Arts student Adine Sequera was recently awarded first prize in the Senior Secondary Division of the City of Subiaco’s annual Shaun Tan Art Award for Young Artists.

Fin Coggan, Macey McEwen and Hazel Dortch were also among the 50 finalists selected from over 1300 entrants this year.

Adine’s oil on canvas ‘Lorna’ is a carefully constructed and sensitively painted still life depicting the life of Lorna, a friend she made who is a resident at a local care home.

Her winning artwork is in the vanitas stule, a specific type of still life painting of symbolic objects, which she said allowed her to incorporate ideas from Lorna’s life.

“I met Lorna Hink through a Year 11 art project when we visited a local care home and we talked about her past and her life growing up on a farm during World War II,” Adine said.

“I also worked with the theme of memory and I combined objects that were symbolic of her life to create the piece.”

“I used the ram’s skull to represent her farm life, candles to represent life, and her wedding photo to really connect with her,” she said.

Now in its 17th year, this visual art award is open to all Western Australian school students and promotes creativity, innovation and imagination.

“I couldn’t believe it when they announced me as the winner,” Adine said.

“I am quite overwhelmed and so excited that this very special piece to me won the first prize.”

Acclaimed WA artist and writer Shaun Tan is best known for his illustrated books with surreal, dream-like imagery.

In 2011 he won an Academy Award for his short film, The Lost Thing, and he also received the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award to honour his contribution to international children’s literature.